I hope I am enjoying the very long and complicated process of creating the art for this book’s cover!! I awoke this morning and back to work I went — Mod Podging the covering over the 14 black and white rings that will be attached at some point – no idea when or where!
Here they are drying – on the work chair!
This is a very sticky process! I have to work very fast and be very careful my fingers do not stick to the wet – very fragile – tissue paper. I found myself thinking about ‘alchemynow’, how I am – as it seems I have done so often throughout my life – trying to make something good and useful, if not perhaps also a bit pretty – out of nothing but nothing – or so it seems.
These rings were cut from the tops of cans, first glued to a layer of toilet paper to cushion their hard surface and to provide a pure white background for the see-through tissue paper. Great. Garbage and TP!! Oh, well, a gal’s gotta do (use) what a gal’s gotta do (use)!
At first I thought two of these rings would be attached to the sides of my name that will run across the very bottom of the cover. But the b & w in part represents the very sick split Borderline Personality Disorder broken brain-mind of abusive Mother. I don’t think I want anything to do with her down there by my name!
I thought the placement of these rings (there are also 5 solid circles of the same diameter gluing right now) would help to visually tie together the distinctly separate parts to the cover image. Well, I don’t think I wish my name to be tied into this directly! I have worked from birth to find a way to be myself!
So this might be the way the bottom of the book cover will look. This is 6″ tall with a flexible curved top edge (there’s a useful reason for that), and is 32″ wide. I will next apply yet ANOTHER layer of heavy cardboard to the back with the corrugated ribs running in opposite direction as these pieces want to bend up in a curve at the center as soon as pressure is taken off of them!
Well, onwards and upwards. Literally. I have the bottom part of the cover completed but not attached. Now I need to work on the top of it. This is quite the construction process!
Please click here to read or to Leave a Comment »